The Oseberg Ship
On August 8, 1903, a farmer named Oskar Rom paid a visit to Professor Gabriel Gustafson of The University Museum of Antiquities in Oslo. Rom had come across a ship while digging in a large burial mound on his farm, Lille Oseberg in Slagen, Vestfold.
Two days later, Professor Gustafson arrived at the farm. There could be no doubt; the burial mound was a ship grave from the Viking Age. The following summer, on June 13, 1904, an excavation team led by Professor Gabriel Gustafson broke ground with their shovels. The excavation was to continue until November 5, when the last pieces of the ship were removed.